This is What Happy Looks Like - YA Review by Sophie D



Reader: Sophie D
Age: 17
Title: This is What Happy Looks Like
Author: Jennifer E. Smith
Publisher: Little, Brown and Company
Pub Date: 04/02/13
Galley: Yes
Top 25: No
Convince us to read the book: While I enjoyed reading this book, it certainly was not an example of a great book. The plot was interesting enough to keep me engaged, and one of the main characters was well developed. However, its way over the top cheesiness somewhat counteracted the good elements of the book.
Memorable or Forgettable:  I think I am not going to remember this book for a very long time. The plot itself was relatively original, but I still felt like I had read the book before. The quirks that the author added to the characters and the setting were compelling. Also, Ellie, the girl half of the girl-meets-movie star romance, was actually an unexpected and somewhat different heroine. She was down to earth, sensible, and unphased by the movie star status of Graham. (The only compelling thing about Graham was his pet pig.) Also, I appreciated the elements of family problems that dominated the characters' lives. I did feel that all of the conflicts were resolved too easily, and the romance didn't seem believable.
Cover: The cover is pretty cute. It's also eye catching, which is good. I probably would not have read this book based on the cover, however.
Age Range: 12 through 17
Quality: 3Q Readable
Popularity: 4P Broad general teen appeal

tags: romance / BFYA nominee / ya lit




No comments: