Gorgeous - YA Review by Sophie D



Reader: Sophie D
Age: 17
Title: Gorgeous
Author: Paul Rudnick
Publisher: Scholastic Press
Pub Date: 04/30/13
Galley: Yes
Top 25: No
Convince us to read the book: I would not recommend this book. It is one of the worst books I have read for a while. The plot was weird, contrived, nonsensical, and I think it sends the wrong message. It is basically about a girl who becomes "the most beautiful woman in the world," gets everything she wants, becomes "ugly" again, and then pretty much the same stuff happens to her anyway. So, is it trying to say that you can get the same stuff when you're "ugly" as when you're "pretty"? I don't know! I came away from this book super confused, because I had no idea how to interpret it.
Memorable or Forgettable:  It's memorable because of its bizarreness, but not in a good way. Also, a lot of really important plot points were never explained, and the resolution was kind of just out of the blue.
Cover: The cover fits with the ridiculousness of the book. I would not read it based on the cover. (my copy was just black with the title)
Age Range: 14 through 17
Quality: 2Q Needs more work
Popularity: 3P Some teen appeal

tags:  fantasy / satire / Cinderella story / BFYA nominee / ya lit




No comments: