Love in the Time of Global Warming - YA Review by Sophie D


Reader: Sophie D
Age: 17
Title: Love in the Time of Global Warming
Author: Francesca Lia Block
Publisher: Henry Holt and Company
Pub Date: 08/27/13
Galley: Yes
Top 25: Yes
Convince us to read the book: This is by far one of the absolute best books I have read in the past few years. Every aspect of it was perfect, in my opinion. Pen was a wonderful main character, heartbreakingly honest in her narration of her past life and her current journey. Her family, past friends, and current companions were all very real as well. I feel like I knew her family and have been to the pink house where they live. I really related to her family situation and saw many similarities to my life. The friends that she met while searching for her family were all very complex, real people. Their back stories were all very sad, and it really made me think about what it would be like if a huge disaster like this really did destroy families, homes, and friendships. There were no miracles in this book, no convenient coincidences. It was harsh and gave what I think would be a realistic portrayal of an apocalypse.
Memorable or Forgettable: There was something about it, and it's hard to pinpoint exactly what it was, that was just so perfect. The writing was incredible, it made me feel as if I was really there when I was reading. The fragility of each character and the whole world was also something that really drew me in. The ending was hopeful, the perfect end to the book. I think the words that really sum it up are fragile, harsh, and beautiful.
Cover:  I love the cover and it matches the book perfectly. It has a kind of mythical feel, as well as connecting to the Odyssey. The butterflies are also a great touch, as they are an important element in the story.
Age Range: 14 through 18 and up
Quality: 5Q Hard to imagine a better book
Popularity: 4P Broad general teen appeal
Annotation: Pen's life falls apart when Los Angeles (and possibly the entire U.S.) is destroyed in a huge Earth-Shaker. On the run from human-eating giants and trying to find her family, Pen encounters companions and enemies, and discovers her strange story telling abilities, all the while realizing the similarities between her journey and Homer's Odyssey.

tags: coming of age / post-apocalyptic / magical realism / ya lit



No comments: