Scowler - YA Review by Rayna Grace


Reader: Rayna Grace C.
Age: 14
Title: Scowler
Author: Daniel Kraus
Publisher: Delacorte Press
Pub Date: 03/12/13
Galley: Yes
Top 25: No
Convince us to read the book: This book was great, but it nearly gave me a nervous breakdown it was so stressful. The main character, Ry, had lived a life filled with the traumatic and brutal abuse of his father, and when his father was dragged off to prison, his sick actions still echoed in his life and caused him to become accustomed to a monotonous, hopeless existence. Nine years later, when his father escaped from prison, the three imaginary friends and mentors Ry created for himself during his father’s rule were resurrected and it nearly caused him (as well as the reader) to go insane. I am not even kidding, for about fifty pages in this book my heart was racing because everything happening was so intense. This was a fantastic book that seemed to have genuine psychological research supporting it. It actually left the reader equally sympathetic for the main character as well as totally disturbed by what he became with his father’s presence in his home. I am not sure what more there is to say. If you are prepared for the emotional journey (and to possibly be scarred for life), read this book.
Memorable or Forgettable: This book was memorable because of the unique point-of-view of the main character himself as well as the intense plot line throughout the story. I do not think there is another character out there that is quite like Ry. This book was really interesting and I’m glad I read it, even though it was so crazy I thought it was going to kill me.
Cover: The cover is pretty cool and it depicts the horrors on the inside of the book pretty accurately. I like the creepy guy at the top (I am assuming it is Ry’s father) that kind of turns into an image of a guy walking towards some dilapidated shacks. It was a really creative visual effect that really made the book stand out, in my opinion.
Age Range: 14 through 17
Quality: 4Q Better than most
Popularity: 4P Broad general teen appeal

tags:  horror / psychological thriller / family trauma / survival / BFYA nominee / ya lit



No comments: