Antigoddess - YA Review by Brooke H


Reader: Brooke H
Age: 14
Title: Antigodess
Author: Kendare Blake
Publisher: Tom Doherty Associates
Pub Date: 09/10/13
Galley: Yes
Top 25: No
Convince us to read the book: When I first opened this book, I didn't know what to expect. I don't usually read books involving Greek gods, but Kendare Blake is one of my favorite authors, so I knew that I had to try it, and I'm glad that I did. It was really interesting to read about the gods as characters in the present, after hearing stories about them. The book never really had any boring parts, and it kept me wanting to read more throughout. I also liked the fact that it was pretty unpredictable. I mean, some stuff was easy to see coming, but as for the main conflict, I couldn't figure out how the author would resolve it. I also really liked the characters. Almost nothing bothers me more than an annoying, generic, just-your-average character who I just want killed off, but as for the characters in this book, they were all strong and independent, with their own unique personalities. I'm really happy with the book, and I can't wait for the sequel!
Memorable or Forgettable:  I thought the fact that the book dealt with gods made it pretty memorable. I've never been particularly interested in the gods, but this book made them seem fascinating.
Cover: The cover wasn't extremely tempting to me, but it was pretty good. I think that the single feather created some mystery and made you curious as to what the book was about. Also, the cover actually had something to do with the book content, unlike a lot of books nowadays.
Age Range: 14 through 17
Quality: 4Q Better than most
Popularity: 3P Some teen appeal

tags:  suspense / mythology / ya lit



No comments: