The Sin-Eater's Confession - YA Review by Guanani



Reader: Guanani
Age: 17
Title: The Sin-Eater's Confession
Author: Ilsa J. Bick
Publisher: Carolrhoda Lab
Pub Date: 11/28/12
Galley: No
Top 25: No
Convince us to read the book:  Ilsa J. Bick continues to be queen of teen torment and angst. Like her past books, The Sin-Eater’s Confession immerses the reader into an intense first-person psychological crisis. I think this book is more about how guilt can change your identity than about hate crimes, which I assumed would be the primary focus when I started it. While the paranoia and self-doubt were well described and vivid, it went on for quite a while and left me feeling sort of prickly and unsatisfied when I finished.
Memorable or Forgettable: This book was memorable for its intensity and unusual confession format. The writing is high quality and I finished it, but I did not like it. There were moments when I put it down because what was happening was so unpleasant. I think the subject of hate crimes against possibly gay people in rural towns is important and relevant, but I would not necessarily recommend this book.
Cover: I like this cover; the sideways title is intriguing and sort of gives a sense of the twisted and crooked things that happen in the book. The blood spatters will be sure to ward off people who don’t like violent stories, and the parchment-like background is an original touch.
Age Range: 16 through 18 and up
Quality: 3Q Readable
Popularity: 3P Some teen appeal

tags:  coming of age / homophobia / personal responsibility / individual freedom / ya lit




No comments: