Pure

Reader: Sabrina K
Age: 16
Title: Pure
Author: Terra Elan McVoy
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Pub Date: April 2010
Galley: Yes
Nominate for Teens’ Top 10: No
Recommend: Yes
How would you convince someone to read the book: It would have to be a specific friend though, this is not for your every day teen. Honestly, I believe the reader has to have a lot of patience to read this book and have a pretty strong religious background to comprehend the story. This book is not for someone who does not have a strong moral background.
Compelling Aspect of the Book: The most compelling aspect of the book would be just how much thought and process the character Tabitha had involving the purity ring. It was as if she revolved around the ring and created this cult with her friends around purity rings.
Comments: When I first picked up this book I thought that I would be able to relate to this book really well, since I also have a purity ring. I was surprised to find out that I had slim to no, similarities with the character. The characters were annoying and it seemed like all her friendships were based off of the purity rings. The book went way too long and extended to an amount where it was almost unbearable to continue to read further. I mean really—who takes that long to decide to do stuff? The majority of the book just felt like we (the readers) were listening to her whine and complain about her not knowing what to do. Also, the whole plot seemed pretty unrealistic and immature. I've never heard of kids openly standing up for their beliefs. The issue seems a bit outdated. Overall, I love that there is a book putting light on the topic of purity rings. But I feel like the wrong message was being sent out to teens about them.
Cover: What tempted me to pick up the book was the content and the overall theme of the book rather than the cover of the book. Even though, the cover was tempting to read and pick up and was symbolic to the contents of the book.
Age Range: 14-15
Quality: 3Q Readable
Popularity: 2P Only for special interest

No comments: