Out of My Mind

Reader: Elise S
Age: 14
Title: Out of My Mind
Author: Sharon M. Draper
Publisher: Simon and Schuster
Pub Date: ?
Galley: Yes
Nominate for Teen’s Top 10: No
Recommend: No
Compelling Aspect of the Book: I was curious about what the climax of the story would be, because the plot wasn't very prominent for a while.
Did you finish: Yes
Were you disappointed with the book at all: It was interesting about hearing from the point of view of a person with cerebral palsy, but I wondered about how much of that was authentic, and the research backing up the novel. It was a little bit one-sided, the secondary characters didn't have any quirks—the bullies were just bullies, the pretend friend didn't get enough page time, and all the people were almost unrealistically closed-minded. I wanted to see a good climax, some more emotional excitement, but the protagonist just asked some heated questions and started to laugh. And Melody's thoughts were had too many exclamations. Gross! Fun! Ew!
Cover: The cover was very interesting. It was what made me pick the book up. Its simplicity was refreshing, and stood out. It kept me thinking about what it meant, and I still haven't really figured out the deeper meaning. I also like that the authors name is prominent, but doesn't get in the way of the title.
Age Range: Under 12
Quality: 3Q Readable
Popularity: 3P Some teen appeal

No comments: