The Lighter Side of Life and Death

Reader: Sabrina K
Age: 16
Title: The Lighter Side of Life and Death
Author: C.K. Kelly Martin
Publisher: Random House
Pub Date: May 2010
Galley: Yes
Nominate for Teens’ Top 10: No
Recommend: No
Convince us to read the book: If you’re into reading a book about a horny teenage boy, then I guess this is your kind of book. This boy seriously needs to control his urges.
Compelling Aspect of the Book: The most compelling aspect of the book was how much Mason was confused. If you didn't know you would almost swear the main character was a girl being how fickle and clueless he was.
Comments: It seemed like this book was missing something, like there was no meat in the book. It almost seemed like this whole "phase" Mason had with Collette could have just been skipped and he could have just realized that he was in love with Kat the whole freaking time. Don't get me wrong, it was hilarious reading about a teenage boy talking about his love problems. But at the end it seemed like the book was a bit of a waste of time. Also, the whole time I was reading the book I was questioning Mason's sexual orientation, I'm not trying to stereotype, but this dude did not seem straight half of the time. He seriously just should have got with Ian or someone else, just because he banged two girls does not mean he's straight. It was very confusing to me while reading the book, and that was always in the back of my mind while reading the book.
Cover: The cover only tempted me to pick up the book because of the level of how cheesy it looked. I thought this would be a book about a girl falling in love, but instead I was surprised to figure out that it was a guy. I think the cover is too generic and needs to show that there is a main character that is a male.
Age Range: 16-17
Quality: 3Q Readable
Popularity: 2P Only for special interest

No comments: