A Whole Nother Story

Reader: Meghan K
Age: 15
Title: A Whole Nother Story
Author: Dr. Cuthbert Soup
Publisher: Bloomsbury Children's Books
Pub Date: Jan. 2010
Galley: Yes
Nominate for Teens’ Top 10: No
Cover: I wasn't able to find the final cover for this book, and the galley I had did not have any cover art.
Recommend: No
Convince us to read the book: Question: What do you get when you mix a mad scientist and his family, a circus full of misfits, a cowboy poet, and several top-secret government agencies? Answer: A bad cake and an even worse book. Zing.
Compelling Aspect of the Book: I did not like this book. Written in a style that makes a gallant effort to write in a madcap, Douglas Adams-esque style, this book reeks of effort. This book is simply trying too hard. If it were a person, I would tell it to relax and stop trying to be funny.
Did you finish: No
Were you disappointed with the book at all: I must admit, I did not finish the book. Mostly because it was giving me hives. The characters were horrifically flat. It's difficult to root for a character when their sole defining trait is that they look like their dead mother.
Age Range: Under 12
Quality: 2Q Needs more work
Popularity: 1P Yech! Forced to read it

No comments: