Hush, Hush

Reader: Maddie S
Age: 16
Title: Hush, Hush
Author: Becca Fitzpatrick
Publisher: Simon and Shuster Books for young readers
Pub Date: 10/13/09
Galley: Yes
Nominate for Teens’ Top 10: Yes
Recommend: Yes
Convince us to read the book: This book holds many meanings. It will make you feel and realize that you have someone there for you. The
unknown presence that you have been wondering about all those years has finally been revealed in this wonderful novel. This book is referred to as "epic."
Compelling Aspect of the Book: The most compelling aspect of this story is that someone so common, a common girl, like you and me, can have something change her and be revealed to her. Her life is changed forever. Nora's unexplained presence is revealed to her, which in most cases is not in a regular teen’s life. Her regular teen presence is unveiled to be a hot, kick booty, not human angel that loves her so much that he sacrifices his own happiness for her life, literally. This book is a demonstration of the ultimate love. This book demonstrates love in the ultimate love that cannot be described. A perfect fantasy.
Comments: I really enjoyed the author's use of vocabulary. Her words fit into this tale like a puzzle. This story reveals a realistic side to a regular teenage girl, the problems. The tale also represents the perfect amount unrealism, enough to satisfy the reader yet not too much so the reader will be in Alice in Wonderland. Hush, Hush is a truly riveting story that I would be proud to put my vote forth for Teens’ Top Ten.
Were you disappointed with the book: I was disappointed with some of the terms in it. Like how a guardian angel becomes a human. Who the guardian angel has to kill to become human. Some of the facts, ancestry, history behind the actual love story that was most prominent to vapid readers.
Did the cover tempt you and/or reflect the contents: I found the cover to the book the secret ingredient to the book. The cover is what attracted me, I found it seductive and mysterious. The character on the cover looked as if he had something he had to overcome, a mystery to him. The way the cover was portrayed made me want to leap into it without a moment of doubt.
Did you finish: Yes
Age Range: 14-17
Quality: 5Q Hard to imagine a better book
Popularity: 4P Broad general teen appeal

1 comment:

DreamReap said...

I read this after reading the review from this site.
I hear there is a sequel but don't think I will read it.
The protagonist seemed bland to me, I had no feelings of wanting her love to succeed. The wasn't enough of a reason for them to even love. They didn't seem to know anything about each other. The characterization was totally lacking and you learned next to nothing about almost everyone. As if the author felt it was more important to say grades and looks then how they reacted to different /interesting/ situations. They kept mentioning the Ezine that had nothing to do with the story.
(ohh I complain so much orz)
I enjoyed the large vocabulary of the protagonist and her friend and it didn't seem to out of place.
The fact that fallen angles could have mind changing powers was very unexplained. It was like "I am a fallen angel therefore I can have powers for plot reasons!"
Overall not the greatest but I read it through and enjoyed some aspects, it just seemed pretty half baked.