Bleeding Violet

Reader: Frances W
Age: 13
Title: Bleeding Violet
Author: Dia Reeves
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Childrens Publishing Division
Pub Date: ?/?/10
Galley: Yes
Nominate for Teens’ Top 10: Yes
Annotation: Hanna, an impulsive manic depressive teenager who recently tried to kill her aunt, comes to a small town in search of her mother, who left her and her now deceased father when she was a baby. She never would have guessed that this town is even more crazy and weird than her.
Recommend: Yes
Convince us to read the book: Though the main character is crazy and kind of suicidal, her freakiness makes her more interesting. I really like how tough and brave she is. On top of her being crazy, the town she goes to is super crazy with things like flying leeches and other crazy, new monsters. No vampires, thank god. It was really good and very interesting-I didn't ever get bored, not even once.
Compelling Aspect of the Book: I think the main character is the most compelling part, with her craziness, bravery, humor, and smarts. She's not perfect, but still awesome.
Did the cover tempt you and/or reflect the contents: For me, I didn't have a particularly positive or negative reaction to the cover. I had heard someone else talk about it and that’s why I picked it up, not because of the cover. The cover didn't really do a wonderful job of reflecting the contents, except for mentioning she was crazy and really into purple. I also don't love that you could see her face and body. I usually like to imagine characters by myself.
Did you finish: Yes
Age Range: 12-17
Quality: 5Q Hard to imagine a better book
Popularity: 4P Broad general teen appeal

No comments: