Rules of Attraction

Reader: Megan W
Age: 17
Title: Rules of Attraction
Author: Simone Elkeles
Publisher: Walker Books
Pub Date: 04/13/10
Galley: Yes
Nominate for Teens’ Top 10: No
Recommend: Yes
Convince us to read the book: I would recommend Rules of Attraction to someone. You don't need to have read Perfect Chemistry to understand this book, though it would help to know the story of things mentioned in this book. While a bit simpleminded and childish at times, I found Rules of Attraction fun and refreshing. The characters were funny and believable. I usually find books with alternating points of view annoying, but I thought it flowed really well in this book.
Compelling Aspect of the Book: When Carlos, the younger brother of Alex, is forced to move to Colorado, he is mad. Worse, he is stuck living with a former marine and his family to clean up his act or go to prison. In the family is a girl his age named Kiara. Carlos is intrigued by Kiara because she is so different than anyone he has known. While there, he learns a thing or two about letting his guard down and having fun.
Were you disappointed with the book at all: I liked how this book had Spanish in it, and even a bit of the Spanish culture in it. Granted, there wasn't much, and I have a feeling the research done was minimal, but I still liked it. I also enjoyed seeing Alex and Brittany again, who show up every now and then (they were the protagonists in Perfect Chemistry).
Did you finish: Yes
Did the cover tempt you and/or reflect the contents of the book: I thought the cover was pretty interesting, and when I saw it I could immediately tell that it was an Elkeles book. I like a lot of things about the cover; the contrast of the black background and the lighter cars and people, the pose of the people (how cool would that be!?) and the rain. The characters even looked like how I would picture them, more or less. The cover ties in very well with the book once you read it.
Age Range: 16-17
Quality: 4Q Better than most
Popularity: 4P Broad general teen appeal

No comments: