Poisoned Honey

Reader: Frances W
Age: 13
Title: Poisoned Honey
Author: Beatrice Gormley
Publisher: Random House
Pub Date: 3/9/10
Galley: Yes
Nominate for Teens’ Top 10: No
Recommend: No
Compelling Aspect of the Book: What interested me in the book was how Matthew and Mari's lives were going to end up tying together in the end. I was bouncing between their lives and, as I was nearing the end of the book, I was wondering if the only way they were connected was when they almost got married. But in the end, I liked how they were connected and the peaceful way the book was ended.
Did you finish: Yes
Were you disappointed with the book at all: I didn't exactly have any expectations for this book, because it was just a random choice, but I didn't really love it. It was just a little dull, and I really enjoy books wherein there is a strong female character who is a fighter or really smart or something of that nature. I don't like reading about women who are being oppressed, discriminated against, and married off unwillingly.
Did the cover tempt you and/or reflect the contents of the book: I didn't exactly love the cover, but I didn't hate it either. I was in a hurry, so I grabbed a couple random books of the shelves. What I do have an opinion on is how random it is. The cover doesn't say anything about the book, and neither does the title. I mean, poisoned honey? It was only incorporated in the last few pages, and it seemed to me that it was hastily slapped in there. I think the name would be better if it either had to do with sparrows or demons. The actual cover was kind of random too, doing nothing except showing me what the character was supposed to look like, which I don't like because I like imagining them myself.
Age Range: 12-18 up
Quality: 3Q Readable
Popularity: 3P Some teen appeal

No comments: