Nomansland

Reader: Megan W
Age: 17
Title: Nomansland
Author: Lesley Hauge
Publisher: Henry Holt and Co.
Pub Date: 06/22/10
Galley: Yes
Nominate for Teens’ Top 10: No
Did the cover tempt you and/or reflect the contents of the book: The cover for Nomansland is very interesting, and fits in with the book very well. I find it very intriguing, and the cover is definitely the reason that I chose to read this book.
Recommend: No
Convince us to read the book: While this book had great potential, I found it really boring. It's set in a post-apocolyptic world, so I thought "great, this will be amazing." To make it even better, it takes place in a village without men. After the fall of the Old People, a group of women created a village and kept the men out, because they were the "enemy" I thought it would be really cool, but it never went anywhere.
Compelling Aspect of the Book: I think the only parts of the book that I actually liked were the parts describing the objects of the old world. I thought it was fascinating to hear descriptions of everyday objects, like the phone, or the bike, and many other things through the eyes of a person that has never seen them before.
Did you finish: Yes
Were you disappointed with the book at all: This book was not horrible in any way, just, boring. It didn't get interesting until the end. It was definitely set up for a sequel. I'll probably read it because I didn't get hooked until the last chapter or so.
Age Range: 16-17
Quality: 3Q Readable
Popularity: 4P Broad general teen appeal

No comments: