Skink -- No Surrender - YA Review by Nick B



Reader: Nick B.
Age: 15
Title: Skink -- No Surrender
Author: Carl Hiaasen
Publisher: Random House
Pub Date: 9/23/14
Galley: Yes
Top 25: No
Convince us to read the book: Carl Hiaasen writes another interesting novel involving one of his popular characters - Skink. Skink is a 70 year old wild life protector.  His ways may not be legal, but they for sure get the message across. When Richard is on a late night stroll looking for his cousin Malley, he stumbles upon Skink trying to catch a turtle egg poacher. He befriends Skink and then later on helps him make his get away. Skink then proceeds to help Richard find his "run away" cousin. As their journey goes on, Richard finds out more and more about Skink, the former Florida governor.  I personally enjoyed the characterisms of Skink. I found the book to be a great read. I would highly recommend this book.
Memorable or Forgettable: I thought the book was well written and had an interesting plot to follow. I thought the book was mainly oriented around the characters and I enjoyed that. Something that makes this book stand out is the modern day wildlife in Florida. I enjoyed reading about the wildlife and even checked out some non-fiction books on some of the animals I read about. I would highly recommend any wildlife lover or reader to read this book.
Cover: I enjoyed not having a complicated or unoriginal cover to look at. I  liked the fact that it was simple and portrayed parts of the book. I think more authors and publishers should start making covers like this.
Age Range: 12 through 18 and up
Quality: 4Q Better than most
Popularity: 4P Broad general teen appeal


tags:  swamp justice / suspense / humor / Skink / ya lit



No comments: