The Devil's Intern - YA Review by Lillian B


Reader: Lillian B.
Age: 13
Title: The Devil's Intern
Author: Donna Hosie
Publisher: Holiday House
Pub Date: 08/01/14
Galley: No
Top 25: No
Convince us to read the book: I truthfully am very confused with my emotions around this book. The characters were strong but the plot felt uneven. The time-line seemed to jump around too much. The relationship between Mitchell and his love interest was also very inconsistent. I had a hard time trying to figure out how he felt about her. They would act romantic and he would be totally fine with it and then he would say something like "she's my best friend." I understand what the author was trying to do with the classic best-friends-fall-in-love-romance but though her emotions were clear his, the main character's mind you, were not. Other than those two things plus slightly odd information placements it was a decent read. It was funny and I really loved the whole supernatural/life-after-death element going on. It's just that the plot felt off.
Memorable or Forgettable: It was somewhat memorable, but not exactly in the way Donna Hosie might have intended. "I will never forget that one very quirky book with the odd development and climax.The resolution was delightful, but other than that every thing was a little scattered," I may say one day.
Cover: The title really caught me. I love the whole angels and demons fad, take away the over-done dramatic romance, so I got a bit excited. The cover also reflects one of the main ideas of the book: Hell isn't the fiery abyss they preach about in the church, it's worse, it's an office job for eternity.
Age Range: 12 through 13
Quality: 3Q Readable
Popularity: 4P Broad general teen appeal
Additional CommentsOkay so for rating, it really depends on the 12 year old. I would say PG-13 if it was a movie,or maybe slightly more than that, PG-14.
Annotation: Mitchell Johnson is a teenager who died four years ago and went to hell. Through his job (the Devil's intern) he has come across a time traveling device. Now he and his friends have found a way to change their own deaths and escape from hell.


tags:  comedy / time travel / ya lit



No comments: