Mortal Heart - YA Review by Brooke H



Reader: Brooke H.
Age: 16
Title: Mortal Heart
Author: Robin LaFevers
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Pub Date: 11/04/14
Galley: Yes
Top 25: Yes
Convince us to read the book: I really enjoyed this book. The plot was very well organized and developed, and it certainly kept me guessing. I never knew how the author would solve certain conflicts, and there were so many twists that I didn't expect! Also, the way that the main character, Annith, developed throughout the book as she figured out who she was and what she wanted was beautifully done. There were some lesser characters that I wish we knew more about, but overall, the character development was pretty great. I loved the way that the author told the story, and I was rarely bored.
Memorable or Forgettable: The most memorable thing for me is the fact that even though the dialogue and actions within the story were accurate to the time period, it was written in such a way that the reader could understand it. That certainly takes a lot of talent, and I admire the author for it. The direction of the plot was also memorable, because, as aforementioned, it kept me guessing and was full of twists.
Cover: I didn't love the cover, but it wasn't bad, and it reflected the contents well.
Age Range: 12 through 18 and up
Quality: 5Q Hard to imagine a better book
Popularity: 4P Broad general teen appeal
Annotation: Annith has been waiting for a chance to serve her god, Mortain, but she discovers that her convent doesn't want her to leave. So, she escapes to find out the truth about herself and discover her destiny.


tags:  historical fantasy / Celtic mythology / female assassins  / His Fair Assassins trilogy / romance / ya lit




No comments: