Mortal Gods - YA Review by Derek D


Reader: Derek D.
Age: 12
Title: Mortal Gods
Author: Kendare Blake
Publisher: Tor Teen
Pub Date: 10/14/14
Galley: Yes
Top 25: No
Convince us to read the book: This book put an exciting twist on Greek mythology by having gods in the bodies of teenagers and having them fight other gods, and their fates, literally, for survival. This book also contains past heroes that have been reincarnated as high school students. Throughout the book, the main characters, Cassandra, Henry, Andie, Hermes, and Athena, are constantly put up against, and injured by various monsters and creatures from Greek mythology. Also, they travel to various locations all around the world. All this happens without their parents or other students discovering where they've been going or what they've been doing. The parents are mentioned in the book, though, and they do state that they think they should give their kids some sort of punishment for always missing school, but they never do. That kept nagging at me as I was reading this book and I kept waiting for an explanation, but never found one, or if there was it wasn't made clear enough to notice. This was just a minor thing that didn't subtract much from the plot, but a clear explanation would make the story more believable. The characters really grew closer to each other as the book progressed and the plot kept getting thicker and the book harder to put down. Overall, I really am loving this series and can't wait to get my hands on the next book.
Memorable or Forgettable: The book's modern spin on a rich set of characters from various Greek myths made this book memorable. Also, the cliffhanger ending will be something I will never forget.
Cover: As I was looking through the shelves for a book to check out, this one immediately grabbed my attention because of the title, Mortal Gods, displayed in large font. I am a fan of anything having to do with Greek mythology, so I immediately checked out this book and its prequel. When I looked closer at the cover, I saw a girl coming out of what looks like a cave and looking at a building that looked like Greek architecture, most likely Olympus, which made me think that at some point in the book a character will visit the famous palace of the gods. I was correct, which shows that the cover does portray the content of the book.
Age Range: 12 through 15
Quality: 4Q Better than most
Popularity: 3P Some teen appeal


tags:  fantasy / Greek mythology / paranormal / romance / Goddess war / ya lit



No comments: