Being Sloane Jacobs - YA Review by Ruby F


Reader: Ruby F.
Age: 13
Title: Being Sloane Jacobs
Author: Lauren Morrill
Publisher: Delacorte Press
Pub Date: 01/07/14
Galley: Yes
Top 25: No
Convince us to read the book: Being Sloane Jacobs was a great book, but I don't think it's one I could read over and over again without getting bored. In the book there are two girls with the same name- Sloane Jacobs - and I thought that was a little too much of a coincidence, but the story was never boring and it was full of unexpected twists. I think both of the Sloane's mature and develop a lot throughout the book, but I think that parts of the story line didn't fit in. The plot is how two girls, both named Sloane Jacobs, switch places at a skating camp. One for figure skating, one for hockey. They didn't get caught until the very end of the story, and I just thought to myself- that wouldn't really happen! I did enjoy reading the book overall, but I'd safely say that it's more of a feminine book.
Memorable or Forgettable: Well, I'd never read a plot like this book before. It was a very interesting and unique story line. I also liked the character's attitudes, and how they changed throughout the book.
Cover: Actually one of the main reasons I decided to choose the book was because of the cover. That being said, I don't really think it was a reflection of the book. Very pretty with pastel colors, but I just didn't relate the cover to the actual story.
Age Range: 12 through 13
Quality: 4Q Better than most
Popularity: 3P Some teen appeal

tags:  coming of age / identity swapping / alternating view points / ya lit



No comments: