Will Grayson, Will Grayson

Reader: Elizabeth S
Age: 16
Title: Will Grayson, Will Grayson
Author: John Green and David Levithan
Publisher: Dutton Juvenile
Pub Date: 04/06/10
Galley: Yes
Nominate for Top 10: No
Did the cover tempt you and/or reflect the contents of the book: The cover of this book was decent. I thought it was a nice looking cover, especially with the overlapping "Will Graysons" and the bright lights. It wasn't my favorite cover ever, but I was glad it didn't have faces or clichéd pictures on it. I thought it reflected the theatre portion of the novel especially.
Recommend: Yes
Convince us to read the book: I would probably only recommend this book to a friend if they were a die-hard John Green fan. I, personally, don't think I would have enjoyed it without his parts of the book. To a John Green fan, I would say that this book is a good representation of his wit and teenage humor that makes his other books so readable.
Compelling Aspect of the Book: The most compelling aspect of the book was the plot line set in place by John Green. I loved his Will Grayson and I especially loved Tiny. My favorite part of John Green's books is his colorful characters, and this book didn't disappoint. His characters were well-developed, funny, and relatable. I really liked Tiny's play as well, which made me laugh. His chapters were the only things which kept me reading, and I really enjoyed them.
Did you finish: Yes
Were you disappointed with the book at all: I was disappointed with Levithan's chapters in the book. I thought they were too self-centered to be truly compelling, and I had a hard time relating to his characters. His plot line seemed to be driven only by John Green's corresponding chapters. I thought it added to the overall plot, but I thought it was a lot weaker than the other parts of the book. The lack of capitalization also bugged me. It made it hard to fully concentrate on the story rather than the individual words.
Age Range: 14-18 up
Quality: 3Q Readable
Popularity: 3P Some teen appeal

No comments: