Absolutely Maybe

Reader: Meghan K
Age: 15
Title: Absolutely Maybe
Author: Lisa Yee
Publisher: Arthur A. Levine Books
Pub Date: 2/??/2009
Galley: Yes
Nominate for Teen’s Top 10: No
Recommend: No
Convince us to read the book: This book struggled mightily from pacing issues, a main character who was a little too perfect, and several tactical nukes to my willing suspension of disbelief. That said, I did not hate this book. I didn't like it, but I finished it.
Compelling Aspect of the Book: To be perfectly honest, I'm not sure why I bothered finishing this book. It wasn't terrible, it started out very good. But some hackneyed plot devices and uneven exposition made things go downhill pretty quickly.
Did you finish: Yes
Were you disappointed with the book at all: This book had an interesting story, but it was really clumsily executed. I find it difficult to believe that the main character's mother wouldn't attempt to contact her at all, and I felt the main character's brief stint as homeless in LA seriously downplayed the seriousness of homelessness. Not everyone has an author waiting in the wings, prepared to drop a deus ex machina in their lap if things start to look too grim.
Did the cover tempt you: The cover of this book is okay. I would probably like it more, but there are/were several books with inordinately similar covers shelved near it, so it didn't stand out in any way.
Age Range: 12-15
Quality: 2Q Needs more work
Popularity: 3P Some teen appeal

No comments: