Brightly Woven

Reader: Megan W
Age: 17
Title: Brightly Woven
Author: Alexandra Bracken
Publisher: EgmontUSA
Pub Date: 03/23/10
Galley: Yes
Nominate for Teen’s Top 10: Yes
Recommend: Yes
Convince us to read the book: Actually, this book was recommended to me by a good friend of mine. She had told me that it was really good and that I should read it. I did, and I'm glad I listened. It's about magic, but not overpoweringly so. A girl, Sydelle, has lived her whole life in a small town, longing for freedom. One day a man named Wayland North (or commonly referred to as 'North') comes and offers her a chance to leave her town and become his assistant. Only after leaving does Sydelle realize that freedom doesn't come without a cost.
Compelling Aspect of the Book: For me, my favorite part of the book was watching the characters grow. They have to learn to get along and work together, because they have information that could stop their country from entering a pointless war. Sydelle and North did not like each other in the beginning, and they were always fighting. I found it funny because the writing style was witty, thus making the characters witty as well. Gradually a bitter hatred turns to friendship, and it is that growth that interested me.
Comments: I found this book easy and fun to read, and I could not put it down. In fact, I stayed up entirely too late on a school night to finish it because I simply could not stop reading. The story and the characters drew me in.
Did you finish: Yes
Were you disappointed with the book at all: The only real problem I had with the book is it leaves a few unanswered questions at the end. I hope there is a sequel.
Did the cover tempt you: This cover definitely tempted me to pick it up. The bright colors caught my eye immediately. The reds and oranges are firey colors that demand to be noticed, while the subtle purple in the background has a calming and mysterious undertone. It drew me in, and once I read the back I was interested.
Age Range: 16-17
Quality: 4Q Better than most

No comments: