City of Screams

Reader: Sophie D
Age: 14
Title: City of Screams
Author: John Brindley
Publisher: Carolrhoda Books
Pub Date: 2009
Galley: Yes
Nominate for Teen’s Top 10: No
Recommend: No
Compelling Aspect of the Book: I really could not find anything compelling about this book. If I had, maybe I would have read past the 60th page. Everything happened too fast without any explanation, the characters felt flat and their personalities seemed forced. I could already tell pretty much the way the book was going to go. This was the first book from TKB that I have started and not finished.
Were you disappointed with the book at all: The main annoying thing is that the chapters were way too short. Short chapters that are about a page long are okay in Maximum Ride, but that's about it. In this book it just got on my nerves, because events are supposed to happen in chapters, and these chapters were just full of random little pieces that could have been combined into larger parts.
Did you finish: No
Did the cover tempt you: I kind of like the cover, because of the very dark backgound and shapes and then the one colorful bit is on fire, but the eyes creeped me out. It was nothing really special.
Age Range: 12-15
Quality: 2Q Needs more work
Popularity: 3P Some teen appeal

No comments: