The Forgetting - YA Review by Brooke H



Reader: Brooke H.
Age: 16
Title: The Forgetting
Author: Nicole Maggi
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Pub Date: 02/03/15
Galley: Yes
Top 25: No
Convince us to read the book: Overall, I thought this book was pretty good.  I really loved how there was a good message within the story. The subject of sex trafficking is something I never thought about, but this novel made me more aware of the problem, and it left me with a desire to get involved. I also really liked the protagonist's transformation throughout the book from someone who just went about her everyday life really only thinking of herself to someone who saw the world around her. I do think that some of the side characters could have been better developed. I didn't really fall in love with them, but I know that with just a bit more development, I could have, particularly with the character of Annabel. I also think the romantic relationship between the protagonist and Nate developed way too quickly and unrealistically.  Also, the writing sometimes seemed amateurish to me, like something a random teen could write for fun rather than that of someone who writes for a living. Despite these things, I did enjoy the book. The mystery unraveled nicely, and I wasn't expecting the end.
Memorable or Forgettable: What made the book most memorable for me was the heavy topic of human trafficking that was interwoven with the rest of the plot. I can respect any book that will raise awareness among younger people.
Cover: I'm not really a fan of covers that basically just have a person on the front, but this one did interest me.  The darkness of it, the font of the title, and the glowing heart were all nice touches. They added some mystery and intrigue to the cover.
Age Range: 12 through 17
Quality: 3Q Readable
Popularity: 3P Some teen appeal


tags:  mystery / romance / suspense / human trafficking / ya lit




No comments: