Nil - YA Review by Katie J


Reader: Katie J.
Age: 14
Title: Nil
Author: Lynne Matson
Publisher: Henry Holt and Company
Pub Date: 03/04/14
Galley: Yes
Top 25: Yes
Convince us to read the book: This book was amazing. There was no boring part. Even though the main characters fell in love, it was definitely not a love story. One thing I didn't understand until about half way through the book was that the chapters switched off between Thad and Charley's viewpoints. I started it over again, and it made so much more sense.
     Charley is another strong female character. One of the things that stood out to me the most was that she survived for 12 whole days, alone, on an alien environment. She had no supplies, but she did it. It makes me want to go out into the woods for 12 days to see if I survive (spoiler alert: I'll be dead in about a half hour).
Memorable or Forgettable: The way that it was a love story that wasn't told as a love story really stood out to me. And the ending - I did cry a little, but I'm still not sure if they were sad tears or happy tears.
Cover: The cover really reflected the contents well. If they had a pile of dead bodies in the back, it would be even more accurate. I'm kidding.
Age Range: 14 through 17
Quality: 4Q Better than most
Popularity: 4P Broad general teen appeal
AnnotationAfter passing out in a Target parking lot, Charley wakes up on Nil. She has no food, no water, no clothes, and is completely alone. Until she meets Thad.


tags:  dystopian romance / science fiction / adventure / survival / ya lit



No comments: