Matched

Reader: Olivia S
Age: 14
Title: Matched
Author: Ally Condie
Publisher: Dutton Books
Pub Date: 11/30/2010
Galley: Yes
Nominate for Teens’ Top 10: Yes
Recommend: Yes
Convince us to read the book: It's set in an interesting society, where everything is monitored and predicted. It makes you think about the freedoms we have... or whether we don't have all that many freedoms after all. I couldn't put it down!
Compelling Aspect of the Book: The messages were strong, and I loved the part about poetry. It wasn't super action-packed, but it wasn't slow either, which made me want to keep reading and reading and reading.
Were you disappointed with the book at all: I can't say I was disappointed with this book. However, there was something about it that seemed unoriginal. Like they'd taken bits from a ton of other science fiction books and squished them all together. Also, it was a little
predictable.
Comments: It was an interesting and well thought-out read, but not THE best book I've ever read.
Cover: My first impression of the cover was, this is a little plain. But maybe that was the point - to have the attention focused on the girl, while there's not much around her. I
don't know... I guess there could be symbolism I'm not reading into.
Did you finish: Yes
Age Range: 12-17
Quality: 4Q Better than most
Popularity: 4P Broad general teen appeal

1 comment:

DreamReap said...

I read this book and found that while I really liked the plot idea the characters personalities were disgusting. Toward the middle I put the book down and didn't finish with no want to finish at all. It was disappointing given the impelling setting but the characters were to conformed to society for me, by the end they may have improved, though.