Bones of Faerie

Reader: Meghan K
Age: 14
Title: Bones of Faerie
Author: Janni Lee Simner
Publisher: Random House
Pub Date: Jan 27, 09
Galley: Yes
Nominate for Teens’ Top 10: No
Recommend: No
What would you tell your friends about this book: We all know what they say about assuming, but this is ridiculous! In all my years of reading too much and watching too much TV I have NEVER encountered more people so nonchalant about the end of the world. Oh sure the world pretty much ended, but that's unpleasant. Let's dwell on something else!
Compelling Aspect of the Book: This book wasn't really compelling in the traditional sense of the word. I wanted to know what happened next, but not in the "Oh-This-Is-Suspenseful!" kind of a way. The book simply made me impatient, which is probably not the reaction the author was going for.
Did you finish: No
Were you disappointed with the book: My biggest complaints were that the tone of the novel did not match the dark subject matter. People who try (and fail) to tell a scary story are just as bad as people who try (and fail) to tell a funny story. I think this author is talented, but should not be writing this kind of material, her writing style simply isn't suited to it. Granted, I haven't read any of her other stories, but I'm sure she's a really good author when in her element.
Did the cover reflect the contents: I wanted to love this book, I really did. Bones of Faerie promised to be an interesting mixture of post-apocalyptic and dark fantasy elements. Both are dark themes, and I was assuming the book would a thought-provoking, twisting, thrill ride.
Age Range: 12-13, 14-15
Quality: 2Q Needs more work
Popularity: 2P Only for special interest

No comments: