We had a blast at the ALA convention in Chicago this year! Elizabeth, Megan, Sabrina, Avi, Meghan, Payton, Frances, Charlie and Maddie did such a great job representing Teens Know Best as they introduced themselves to publishers, advertised our blog, and gave thier book comments at the BBYA session. Thanks guys!
NOTE: We will add a slideshow of our pictures once all nine permission slips (to allow us to post your image on the internet) are turned in, so check back later!
- EIGHT hours on the Megabus (halfway with no air conditioning!!)
- Musical taxi cabs (without the music).
- Two nights at the Holiday Inn Mart Plaza, swimming...speedo guy...
- Dinner at the Rainforest Cafe with a giant felt tree frog, mechanical monkeys that screech and do the macarena every ten minutes, and a creepy talking tree with eyelashes.
- Elizabeth's sparkler birthday sundae (one birthday per table minimum).
- Waiting in line for our advanced readers copies of Catching Fire!
- Pumping iron--whoever said reading was a leisurely hobby?
- Talking to the folks at Flux, Bloomsbury, Penguin, Scholastic, Henry Holt, Hyperion, Houghton Mifflin, Candlewick, Random House, Lerner, Macmillan, etc. --getting free galleys and listening to booktalks!
- Chicago style pizza, compliments of Penguin.
- QandA with Sarah Dessen and Laurie Halse Anderson, getting signed copies of their new books
- Speaking at the BBYA session, everyone did GREAT despite the butterflies!
- Getting tons of comments/compliments on our Tshirts! Passing out business cards (we are so official!)
- Visiting with Simone Elkeles, signed copies of Perfect Chemisty and "es un libro" tshirts.
- Dinner at Ed Debevick's halfhearted-fifties-themed diner, where the servers dance on the bar, make you wear paper hats, sing terrible karoake and abuse their customers!
- Never have I ever...
- Staying up until 2am!
- Another EIGHT HOURS on the Megabus with a grizzly, no-nonsense bus driver!
A BIG THANK YOU to Adela for all her blood, sweat and tears putting this all together for us, and to Payton's mom, Sandi, who went with to chaperon, you are both angels!! Adela, we appreciate all your heart and hard work that you dedicate to Teens Know Best every day--you make it all possible, you are a real miracle worker!