When You Leave - YA Review by Chloe B.



Reader: Chloe B.
Age: 14
Title: When You Leave
Author: Monica Ropal
Publisher: Running Press
Pub Date: 04/07/15
Galley: Yes
Top 25: No
Convince us to read the book: This book was a mystery and, unlike some mysteries, in the beginning it wasn't too slow paced and still managed to give you a good idea of characters and their personalities. Good characterization. I also really enjoyed the plot of this book - towards the end of the book I really couldn't put it down. In the beginning of the book where the main character, Cassie, was dating Cooper was adorable and romantic. Although I found the fact that Cassie's best friend Mattie was mute sort of unnecessary and tedious. A few times there was some wording that I found confusing. Also, at one point in the book, Cassie mentions falling in love with Mattie and I felt like that exact statement should've been elaborated on more - it wasn't really brought up again until towards the end of the book.
Memorable or Forgettable: Like I said, this book had a very good plotline and good character development. And I did enjoy reading it. However, it isn't one of those books that I'd read over and over again.
Cover: I'm pretty impartial to the cover. In this book the main character has a lot of struggles but I feel like the cover of the book makes it look more sad than it is. It doesn't really have too much to do with the plot.
Age Range: 14 through 15
Quality: 3Q - Readable
Popularity: 4P - Broad general teen appeal


tags: mystery / romance / ya lit



No comments: