After the Red Rain - YA Review by Sam T



Reader: Sam T.
Age: 16
Title: After the Red Rain
Author: Barry Lyga, Peter Facinelli, and Robert DeFranco
Publisher: Little, Brown and Company
Pub Date: 08/04/15
Galley: Yes
Top 25: No
Convince us to read the book: I really liked the characters, and felt attached to them, although I thought some of the romance was a little cliched. I really liked the storyline, and thought it was supenseful, although it seems like the authors made Rose a little too powerful and gave him a little too many different abilities. However, I really did like the idea of a plant-human hybrid, although some of the other genetic hybrids, like blue rats and tooth-weeds, seemed a little too outlandish.
     I was also frustrated that there seemed to be some unexplained inconsistencies, such as: if Deedra was rescued from the Red Rain machines as a baby, and the Red Rain happened a long time ago, why isn't she super old? If it happened more recently, why don't people remember what it was like more clearly?
Memorable or Forgettable: It was mostly memorable for the unique storyline and the plot twists, although it frustrated me that it left some questions unanswered. Although it had a unique idea, it also seemed to rely a little too heavily on conventional tropes of the genre.
Cover: The cover was somewhat interesting and mostly related, although I'm not quite sure what the spiky things that she's standing on are. Also, the general image of the cover seems sort of familiar, as I believe I've seen similar covers on other post-apocalyptic books.
Age Range: 14 through 17
Quality: 4Q - Better than most
Popularity: 4P - Broad general teen appeal


tags: action / dystopia / post-apocalyptic / romance / ya lit



No comments: