Awake - YA Review by Sophie L



Reader: Sophie L.
Age: 14
Title: Awake
Author: Natasha Preston
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Pub Date: 08/04/15
Galley: No
Top 25: No
Convince us to read the book: First off, I love the genre Natasha Preston writes in. I've read The Cellar so there was an expectation to be met by this book, and it was. The plot was really creative. The only big problem I had with the plot was that a lot of the book revolved around the main character not remembering what happened in her life before the age of 4. I have maybe 2 or 3 memories from before the age of 4. I really would have prefered an age like 6 or 7. Otherwise, I loved the unexpected turns the story took. However, I didn't so much like the writing itself. A lot of the dialogue seemed like what people don't actually say. I know some of the characters were in a cult and that would have influenced their speech, but the dialogue also wasn't great among the normal characters. I think I spent about 2/3 of this book internally screaming, "HOW CAN YOU WANT TO KILL YOUR CHILD OR ANYONE AT ALL FOR THAT MATTER!!" Good books give me emotions, so this book is good.
Memorable or Forgettable: This book has so many things that most other books don't have, really memorable characters and the way they feel about each other (such as wanting to kill your child).
Cover: Great cover! It was just enough like The Cellar so I could recognize the author. Very aesthetically pleasing and reflective of the contents.
Age Range: 14 through 18 and up
Quality: 4Q - Better than most
Popularity: 4P - Broad general teen appeal


tags:  thriller / cult / ya lit



No comments: