The Rig - YA Review by Sam T



Reader: Sam T.
Age: 16
Title: The Rig
Author: Joe Ducie
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Pub Date: 10/06/15
Galley: Yes
Top 25: No
Convince us to read the book: I liked the characters, even if they were a little cliched at times. I really felt connected to them. I also thought the dialogue was okay, although everyone (regardless of country) sounded a little British at times. I thought, however, that the superpowers seemed a little over-the-top, unrealistic and ridiculous, and the "magical meteorite" was not a very original nor interesting idea. Overall, I liked the book, although I was also disappointed by most of it.
Memorable or Forgettable: It doesn't really seem that memorable, besides the superpowers thing. It seems to rely on the "genius escape artist kid" trope too much, which is unfortunate because that is far too overused.
Cover: The cover was okay and more or less seemed to reflect the contents.
Age Range: 12 through 15
Quality: 3Q - Readable
Popularity: 3P - Some teen appeal


tags: science fiction / supernatural / dystopia / suspense / action / ya lit



No comments: