Illuminae - YA Review by Simon D-S



Reader: Simon D-S
Age: 15
Title: Illuminae
Author: Amy Kaufman and Jay Kristoff
Publisher: Random House Children's Books
Pub Date: 10/20/15
Galley: Yes
Top 25: Yes
Convince us to read the book: This book was one of the best books I have ever read. The plot, characters, and unique way of communicating the story made it into a truly amazing read. First off, the characters in the book were believable and realistic. Both main characters had many layers and quirks that made them imperfect and therefore real. The plot was insane. Like, take the genres of mystery, sci- fi, romance, and horror, and put them in solitary confinement for two weeks with knives. That is essentially how the plot of Illuminae is. I make it sound bad with that metaphor, but it is actually really good. Finally, the way they tell the story is great. The usage of emails, ship communications, images, and word collages tell the story perfectly.
Memorable or Forgettable: I will probably never forget this book, as it is one of the most unique I have ever read. Think novel, but with a taste of comic book. Let me make that clear. It is not a comic book. Don't tell people I told you that. What I mean is that it makes words have art. I know I am being vague here, but just read the frickin' book.
Cover: The cover looked cool, with all the creepy writing and stuff, but I couldn't tell if I was cheating by reading it. You'll see.
Age Range: 12 through 17
Quality: 5Q - Hard to imagine a better book
Popularity: 5P - Everyone wants to read it
Annotation: After the destruction of their home planet by an enemy corporation, Kady and Ezra must put aside their breakup to uncover the truth of their predicament.
Additional Comments: It's not a comic book!


tags: science fiction / dystopian / suspense / ya lit



No comments: