A Court of Thorns and Roses - YA Review by Perrin S



Reader: Perrin S.
Age: 17
Title: A Court of Thorns and Roses
Author: Sarah J. Maas
Publisher: Bloomsbury USA Childrens
Pub Date: 05/05/15
Galley: No
Top 25: Yes
Convince us to read the book: I'll start off by saying that I am a big Sarah J. Maas fan. And this book had alot of the things I like about her other books. Such as tone, the way she writes in her genre and the way her characters are developed and represented. There was one aspect that I was not a huge fan of. The story is set up with a certain pacing and arc. And within the last third of the book, that completely changes along with the plot. This sorta threw me out of the story, it felt like a whole other book had been pushed into the last part of this one. For the most part I don't know how to feel about this. Once I got back into the story, I liked the plot at the end and I still like the book as a whole. But I am frustrated with that part. 
Memorable or Forgettable: Again, I'm a Sarah J. Maas fan, so this book is sitting in the V.I.P section of my bookcase, but if it wasn't written by her I don't know if it would have been memorable to me. It was a mostly well done book, but the plot and characters seemed to be similar to alot of other stuff that's out in YA right now and I didn't find anything in the book that really made it stand out. But like I said, I think its really well written and very enjoyable. I wish more books with similar plots were written this well. 
Cover: Yes. Beautiful cover. It was dramatic without looking cliched or fake. Loved the colors, and I loved that there were parts of the cover that I didn't understand until I finished the book. Good Job on this one!
Age Range: 16 through 18 and up
Quality: 4Q - Better than most
Popularity: 4P - Broad general teen appeal
Annotation: Very interesting and intriguing story. Good, entertaining book to read. 


tags: fantasy / action / romance / mythology / ya lit



No comments: