The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender - YA Review by Bjorn H.


Reader: Bjorn H.
Age: 14
Title: The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender
Author: Leslye Walton
Publisher: Candlewick Press
Pub Date: 03/25/14 
Galley: Yes
Top 25: No
Convince us to read the book: The character development in this book was good and bad, if you will. Allow me to elaborate, the development of the main character's background was very strong as the author spent upward of two chapters explaining what had happened to her family. The character's emotions and feelings did not, on the other hand, develop very well, and while I felt like I knew a lot about Ava, I did not feel like I knew her. The plot, voice, and dialogue were very sound and not at all questionable.
Memorable or Forgettable: The book was sort of in the middle for me, because while the story and plot layout were unique and memorable, the writing style did not leave me asking for more.
Cover: The cover tempted me to pick up the book.
Age Range: 16 through 17
Quality: 3Q Readable
Popularity: 4P Broad general teen appeal
Additional Comments: Great book, mediocre writing
Annotation: Ava Lavender is born with wings. She is not born with, however, the will to fly. Her family has a rich history of love and betrayal.

tags: fantasy / magical realism  / ya lit



No comments: