Bi-Normal - YA Review by Lou O.


Reader: Lou O.
Age: 18
Title: Bi-Normal
Author: M.G. Higgins
Publisher: Saddleback Educational Publishing, Inc.
Pub Date: 07/01/13
Galley: Yes
Top 25: No
Convince us to read the book: I thought this book was alright. It was cliched, but it was cute. The main character is a stereotypical jock who ends up getting confused about his sexuality, and ends up having misadventures, although not hilarious ones. All his friends are the typical small-town, uninformed jerks who pick on the gay kids. If it hadn't been for the main character's crush on another kid, I'm not sure I would have finished it. That was really the only redeeming factor.
Memorable or Forgettable: This was a pretty forgettable book. I finished it two days ago, and I can't remember any of the character's names. I think it was just that it was so cliched, that it made it forgettable. If there had been a twist at some point, I maybe would've remembered. But I knew exactly what was going to happen about twenty pages in advance.
Cover: The cover was confusing. I couldn't tell what it was for a very long time. When I figured out that it was people holding hands, it was still very ambiguous. Is it two guys holding hands? A guy and a girl? Two girls? Who knows? I don't.
Age Range: 12 through 17
Quality: 3Q Readable
Popularity: 4P Broad general teen appeal

tags: LGBTQ / contemporary / realistic fiction / ya lit




No comments: