Sex & Violence - YA Review by Sophie D.


Reader: Sophie D.
Age: 17
Title: Sex & Violence
Author: Carrie Mesrobian
Publisher: Carolrhoda LAB
Pub Date: 10/01/13
Galley: Yes
Top 25: No
Convince us to read the book: This story was told in a really interesting way. You weren't really expected to like the main character, I think, but you still ended up sympathizing with him. Even though he is a jerk, and treats most people like crap, you can still see where he is coming from. I also really liked the setting, it was my favorite part of the book, because it was so believable, and so Minnesotan.
Memorable or Forgettable: This book was memorable because it had interesting characters, a complex setting, and it didn't really have a plot. But this worked for the book -- it was just a snapshot of a difficult time in this character's life, and that was very interesting, although sometimes difficult, to read.
Cover: I personally don't like the cover. I think the title doesn't really fit the book, I think it's just there for the shock factor. I understand the significance of the water, but I don't think it was very visually appealing.
Age Range: 16 through 18 and up
Quality: 4Q Better than most
Popularity: 4P Broad general teen appeal

tags: contemporary / realistic fiction / dark / sexuality / drama / romance / coming-of-age / ya lit




No comments: