Shiver

Reader: Meghan K
Age: 15
Title: Shiver
Author: Maggie Stiefvater
Publisher: Scholastic Press
Pub Date: August, 20
Galley: Yes
Nominate for Teens’ Top 10: No
Recommend: No
Convince us to read the book: I am a horrible person. I got this book because I met the author, and she was awesome. I was so excited to go home and read Shiver, because everyone I knew who read it loved it. So I got home... And read it... And hated it. I'm sorry.
Compelling Aspect of the Book: I felt this book was a shameless Twilight rip-off and too much of it was relying on the assumption that the reader would care about the characters and be deeply emotionally affected by their suffering. The book seemed too eager to get to squishy, emotionally intense parts and as a result, skimped on character development.
Did you finish: No
Were you disappointed with the book at all: I felt that the characters were very static and dull. Even their physical descriptions were bland. It was the characterization equivalent of flour. It's not yummy, not good for you, and it's bland as heck. If you added other ingredients and baked it, you'd have a delicious cake, but as is, it's just not very good. This book had an interesting take on werewolves, and it's wonderful to see an author try things you haven't seen before. But when reading about the main character makes you itchy and bored, it's not worth it to see how it plays out.
Comments: If I may, can I ask a question? What is it in these mopey, quiet, introverted, dull, bland girls that draws hot guys with super powers? Invariably, these guys are lamenting their lost humanity. You'd think they'd go for a lively, spirited girl, because she's so energetic. Yet the extroverted characters are always written off as shallow or dim-witted, and are dismissed by the [generic monster-type guy] as being beneath them. Speaking as someone who is very boisterous and extroverted, I find the implications a tad offensive. I understand that many authors are probably shy, quiet people, but that doesn't mean that those of us unable to shut up are dumb or bad or unworthy of love.
Did the cover tempt you and/or reflect the contents of the book: This is easily one of the prettiest covers I have seen in a long time. It's simple, fits the book, and eye catching. More books need covers like this.
Age Range: 12-17
Quality: 2Q Needs more work
Popularity: 4P Broad general teen appeal

No comments: