The Rithmatist - YA Review by Greta H



Reader: Greta H.
Age: 16
Title: The Rithmatist
Author: Brandon Sanderson
Publisher: Tor Teen
Pub Date:  05/14/13
Galley: Yes
Top 25: No
Convince us to read the book: One thing that I believe the book could have benefited from would have been more world building, as there was little to none of it. It is supposed to have a sort of steampunk atmosphere, yet there were not a whole lot of integration of this theme throughout the book, and I would find myself almost surprised when one of the few elements did come up ("Oh, mechanical grass cutter crab, right, this is steampunk. I almost forgot"). I feel like it would have brought another level to this book. There is a lot you can do with a steampunk world, and I do not think it was taken advantage of here.

Regardless, the plot held my interest to the point of finishing the book in a matter of a day or two; I think the aspect of mystery really helped with that. The characters were lovable and for the most part realistic, though not as vibrantly alive as others have been for me. Overall, it is worth a read.

Memorable or Forgettable: It has a unique world and plot that I am really interested in. Though the steampunk aspect was not as strong as I would have liked, it was still there in bits; steampunk universes in books have always been some of my favorite.
Cover: The cover of the book does reflect the contents of the book, and though it was not the original reason I picked up the book, it certainly wouldn't have turned me off from reading it.
Age Range: Under 12 through 17
Quality: 4Q Better than most
Popularity: 4P Broad general teen appeal

tags:  steampunk / fantasy / science fiction / The Rithmatist / ya lit



No comments: