Control - YA Review by Brooke H


Reader: Brooke H.
Age: 15
Title: Control (Control #1)
Author: Lydia Kang
Publisher: Dial Books for Young Readers
Pub Date: 12/26/13
Galley: Yes
Top 25: No
Convince us to read the book: I really enjoyed this book. Even though it was set in the future like many popular books right now, the plot was still unique. It took a little bit to really get into it, but once I did, I couldn't put it down. It was really intense, with many plot twists, and one of those ends that makes you want to immediately pick up the next book to see how the characters would deal with what happened. Speaking of characters, their development and personalities were one of the things that I really loved about the book. The main character, Zelia, was brave and strong while still being realistic. She wasn't perfect, so she was very relatable. It was also very admirable how she never gave up on her getting her sister back. The other characters were also very lovable, each with their own distinct personalities. I think that this book would most appeal to those who love science, as the story had a lot to do with genetics and labs. You don't have to love science to love the book, however. I'm not the biggest fan of the subject, and I still really liked the book.
Memorable or Forgettable: What was memorable for me was the science involved, because not many YA books center their stories on it. The characters were also very memorable to me. You just can't help loving them. :)
Cover:  I really liked the cover. I thought it was simple, yet beautiful, and definitely intriguing. It did reflect the contents, as a lot of the book involved lab work, as the main character tried to isolate certain genes and create elixirs.
Age Range: 12 through 18 and up
Quality: 4Q Better than most
Popularity: 3P Some teen appeal

tags:  science fiction / fantasy / dystopian romance / Control / ya lit



No comments: