A Creature of Moonlight - YA Review by Lian S


Reader: Lian S.
Age: 18
Title: A Creature of Moonlight
Author: Rebecca Hahn
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Pub Date: 05/06/14
Galley: Yes
Top 25: Yes
Convince us to read the book:  In the weeks since I read A Creature of Moonlight, it keeps returning to my mind. In part I was struck by the unique world: the moving trees, the kind queen, a calculating lord. Above all, though, it was Marni's character that gave me a strong sense of inspiration.

A lot of female protagonists in books I've read struggle with their self-worth. This is certainly valid in a society where women are expected to be beautiful and kind. However, there is something brilliant about a character who doesn't seem to have that struggle. Throughout the story, Marni has a hold on who she is. She does not need to change to fit the world around her.

I wish there were more books like this because it does not portray growing up as a struggle you must wade through in order to become an adult. Rather, I got the impression that Marni has a happy ending because of the strength in her own heart.
Memorable or Forgettable: The other aspect of the book that stuck out to me was the imagery. After the first page I had latched onto this story because I could tell that it was different. The magic and the world as a whole are what really make this book stand apart in my mind. I don't see myself forgetting the details of this story any time soon.
Cover:  The cover is beautiful. I really like that it is not a cliché pretty girl cover. I also love the way it is simple but still interesting-- the dragon in front of the moon, the decorations around the letters. I certainly would not want this cover to be changed.
Age Range: Under 12 through 18 and up
Quality: 5Q Hard to imagine a better book
Popularity: 4P Broad general teen appeal
Additional Comments:  I wish the whole world would read this book.
Annotation:  Hahn's story walked right out of the pages and into my life. This book is fierce, beautiful, and tender, and it is written with astounding skill.

tags:  fantasy / high fantasy / dragons / ya lit



No comments: