The Messengers - YA Review by Brooke H



Reader: Brooke H.
Age: 16
Title: The Messengers
Author: Edward Hogan
Publisher: Candlewick Press
Pub Date: 05/12/15
Galley: No
Top 25: No
Convince us to read the book: This book had a unique plot and each character had a distinctiveness to them, but I would have liked to see both of these expanded a bit.  The plot felt really rushed, and the characters had so much more promise. So basically, the author did a great job with the bones of the book, but I feel there should have been more meat to it.
Memorable or Forgettable: I liked how unique the plot itself was, and how the reader isn't quite sure how things will go.  I also appreciated that the relationship between Frances and Peter was a lot more realistic compared to other novels, where Frances had a bit of a crush but it didn't turn into full on romance.  The most memorable part for me was the twist at the climax, which I didn't at all see coming.
Cover: The cover doesn't have much to do with the events in the book, but it reflects well on the darkness and mystery of it. It didn't immediately attract me, but it isn't that I didn't like it.
Age Range: Under 12 through 15
Quality: 3Q - Readable
Popularity: 3P - Some teen appeal


tags:  psychological thriller / mystery / horror / philosophy / ya lit



No comments: