Don't Stay Up Late - YA Review by Ella O



Reader: Ella O.
Age: 14
Title: Don't Stay Up Late
Author: R.L. Stine
Publisher: St. Martin's Press
Pub Date: 04/07/15
Galley: Yes
Top 25: Yes
Convince us to read the book: I'm not sure where to begin. I loved Lisa's journey through the difference between crazy and CRAZY. It must have been hard not knowing what was real and what wasn't, but it was a good plot development.
Memorable or Forgettable: I liked the idea of the creatures and while I was wonderfully horrified by them, I of course - being as curious as I am - wanted to know how they did it. Was it combining key pieces of different animals' DNA, or was it something less intricate, or was it like magic? Anyway, R.L. Stine has a horrifically beautiful mind and I will remember the book for that.
Cover: The cover did not tempt me as as much as the blurb on the back. It's also a bit complicated. Maybe do something like showing the back view of an innocent seeming child who's shadow is warped and twisted into some gruesome shape on the ground.
Age Range: 14 through 15
Quality: 5Q - Hard to imagine a better book
Popularity: 4P - Broad general teen appeal
Additional Comments: I had a gut feeling towards Harry the whole time that was confirmed towards the end, but the actual ending was a wonderful surprise! It sent chills up my spine and a smile across my face. I loved it. Good job.
Annotation: Lisa Brooks lost her father when her family got in a terrible accident. Ever since she's been haunted by waking nightmares and daily hallucinations and doesn't know how to stop them. Then her therapist suggests a babysitting job on Fear Street with an angel-faced sweetheart named Harry. But when when she stays, a monster starts appearing and murdering people and friends. Is it just her hallucinations at it again? Or is it real?


tags:  horror / Fear Street series / ya lit



No comments: