Egg & Spoon - YA Review by Courtney D


Reader: Courtney D.
Age: 17
Title: Egg & Spoon
Author: Gregory Maguire
Publisher: Candlewick Press
Pub Date: 09/09/14
Galley: Yes
Top 25: Yes
Convince us to read the book: Never have I ever been transported into a story while reading as much as I have in this. The author managed to tell the story in a way that made you feel like he was there, and he managed to do it without using excessive detail that bored you into skimming sections. I was always interested in what I was reading. The author also created a great narrator who managed to make me laugh and find myself smiling often while reading the book.
Memorable or Forgettable: This book was memorable because of the spectacular storytelling. It was a fun story that anyone could enjoy, but also brought up and questioned aspects of human nature in a creative way that all ages can understand.
Cover: The cover featured 5 different sections that look like they are made out of paper. This was very intriguing. As I read, I discovered that each section is a scene or plot point from the book. This made me appreciate the book more after I finished.
Age Range: 12 through 18 and up
Quality: 4Q Better than most
Popularity: 4P Broad general teen appeal
AnnotationElena is a poor peasant who has to scavenge for food, and Cat is a wealthy school girl who literally has everything handed to her on a silver plate. Due to being in the wrong place at the wrong time, the girls switch places. But unlike your typical switching places story, people notice that they are not who they say they are. Now the girls have to try to survive in each other’s life, and also try to discover why the world is becoming completely off balance.

tags:  fantasy / Russian folklore / ya lit



No comments: