Monstrous Affections - YA Review by Ella O


Reader: Ella O.
Age: 13
Title: Monstrous Affections: An Anthology of Beastly Tales
Author: Kelly Link and Gavin T. Grant
Publisher: Candlewick Press
Pub Date: 09/09/14
Galley: Yes
Top 25: Yes
Convince us to read the book: I can't exactly narrow it down since there were several stories, but I thought that they all had fairly good plots. The dialogue was more mature in some stories than others, but is well round over all.
Memorable or Forgettable: I loved all of the stories - some more than others - but I did find their uniqueness enjoyable. I liked seeing the authors' points of view on tales about vampires, kraken and other lore.
Cover: I loved the cover. I liked the art and, while I don't think it reflected much of the contents, it gives you the right idea of it being a book of beastly tales. Others might disagree, but I hope the cover stays the same.
Age Range: 14 through 15
Quality: 5Q Hard to imagine a better book
Popularity: 4P Broad general teen appeal
Additional Comments: I don't normally like short stories because I feel they end too soon, but these stories were longer than others and a bit scarier so I enjoyed them more.
Annotation: A collection of about 15 different stories that are long enough to not have a lack of details but short enough to only consist of around a dozen pages per story.

tags:  anthology / short stories / monsters / ya lit



No comments: