We Should Hang Out Sometime - YA Review by Katie J



Reader: Katie J.
Age: 15
Title: We Should Hang Out Sometime
Author: Josh Sundquist
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Pub Date: 12/23/14
Galley: No
Top 25: No
Convince us to read the book: I heard a lot of good things about this book. So, of course, I had to check it out. It was a little disappointing, honestly. I heard it was funny and sweet and each story was different. I do agree that it was funny and pretty sweet. However, I thought the stories began to repeat themselves after the first few.He saw a cute girl and didn't have the courage to do anything about it. I understand exactly what he's talking about, but  they started to get a bit boring about halfway through the book. I did like the little graphs and pictures. They were funny.
     One thing I did like about the main character (also the author) was that he tried so hard to get these girls to like him. He just didn't really understand girls. In one of the first couple stories, he asked a girl out and she said yes. What did he do? He high-five'd her and walked away. For some reason, the girl didn't want to go out with him anymore. I still would have. Anyway, his love life kind of goes downhill from there. 
Memorable or Forgettable: It wasn't forgettable, but it wasn't exactly memorable. I know I've said it before, but it was a little boring. One part that was memorable for me is that he found most of the girls afterwards, when he had long since moved on, and asked them why they didn't like him. The responses were pretty funny. 
Cover: I've got a little love-hate relationship going on with this cover. I love the flow chart idea. It's awesome. However, it doesn't go with the book. At all. The title is awesome, but the cover... It just doesn't go with the stories. 
Age Range: 12 through 18 and up
Quality: 3Q - Readable
Popularity: 3P - Some teen appeal


tags:  memoir / humor / relationship analysis / coming of age / ya lit



No comments: