The Novice (Summoner Book One) - YA Review by Veronica K



Reader: Veronica K.
Age: 14
Title: The Novice (Summoner Book One)
Author: Taran Matharu
Publisher: Feiwel and Friends
Pub Date: 05/05/15
Galley: Yes
Top 25: No
Convince us to read the book: I liked this book. The plot moved well, with everything happening at a speed worth reading. All the characters were believable, but some of the nobles could have been developed a little bit better. I would like to know more about them. But the main character, Fletcher, was conceivably stupid enough to have been from a secluded village in the middle of nowhere with no access to anything - he was kind enough and he was mean enough. Things were explained well, and I felt like I had enough information throughout the book.
Memorable or Forgettable: The most memorable thing about this book is that it is not a repeat of the past six or seven books I have read lately. It feels more original. It also feels like quality writing, something else that is lacking. Finally, the darn cliffhanger has guaranteed I will not forget this book for a long while.
Cover: The cover was the reason I picked it up. I so want that jacket. Anyone who wears that jacket is a good character.
Age Range: 12 through 17
Quality: 4Q - Better than most
Popularity: 4P - Broad general teen appeal


tags:  fantasy / adventure / The Summoner Trilogy / ya lit



No comments: