Shadow Walkers

Reader: GuananĂ­
Age: 15
Title: Shadow Walkers
Author: Brent Hartinger
Publisher: Flux
Pub Date: Feb 2011
Galley: No
Recommend: No
Convince us to read the book: I would not recommend this book because I was so disappointed in it. If someone is going to publish a book called Shadow Walkers, it needs to live up to such a cool title.
Compelling Aspect of the Book: The 'shadow walking' in this case is a form of astral projection where the character can move around outside of his body, which is an interesting if overused idea. It needed a little more to it, and the plot just fell flat. Five chapters in I skipped to the last two chapters and couldn't find any difference in the characters or what was happening.
Did you finish: No
Were you disappointed with the book at all: I could not bring myself to finish this. The descriptions were flowery, but it was almost always 'telling' and didn't engage me in the story, astral projection concept or characters. The main character in particular might as well have been a cardboard cutout. I couldn't identify any personality except that he cares about his brother, which could have been enough if it were more vividly and compellingly described.
Cover: The cover is pretty cool, actually, but what made me pick up this book was the fact that I have a short story magical power called shadow walking, and was afraid that my idea had been stolen/thought of first!
Age Range: 12-13
Quality: 1Q How did it get published?
Popularity: 3P Some teen appeal

No comments: