Mindblind

Reader: Sophie
Age: 15
Title: Mindblind
Author: Jennifer Roy
Publisher: Marshall Cavendish
Pub Date: 2010
Galley: No
Nominate for Teens’ Top 10: Yes
Recommend: Yes
Convince us to read the book: It is about a boy with Asperger's syndrome, and it gives you a very clear look into what it would be like to live with that. It is one of the best first person books I have ever read. I often don't like it when the character has some sort of flashbacks, but these added to the story and were done in a way that made sense. Going into the book, I thought it might be dark or sad, but it was shockingly realistic, and in the best way possible. Some bad things happened to the main character, but plenty of good things happened to. He had normal friends, and an almost normal life for a teenager. This book really opened my eyes.
Compelling Aspect of the Book: I loved how realistic it was! Lots of authors think that horrible things happening to the characters constitutes a good book. This is not the case! People are normal, even if they do have Asperger's. Nathaniel not only had a great way of narrating, he was fun to listen to, without being openly being humorous. I was very sad to be done with this book.
Were you disappointed with the book at all: I can't think of anything to complain about, which is out of the ordinary for me. I only wish the book was twice as long, so I could still be reading it. Actually I don't, because that would ruin its perfectness.
Cover: The cover is very visually appealing, especially as I am very attracted to surrealism and this looks surreal. It somewhat reflects the contents, only I don't see a really strong connection to the main character. However, I think it is clever and appealing and it made me pick the book.
Did you finish: Yes
Age Range: 12-17
Quality: 5Q Hard to imagine a better book
Popularity: 3P Some teen appeal

No comments: